Friday, September 10, 2004

How It Works

Here's how I reckon it works. In heaven, where materials science is more advanced than it is here, angels of fire and air brew up a fluid more subtle than air and more dense than gold. This substance can permeate human flesh, saturate it, as water saturates a sponge -- a sort of celestial DMSO. Angels of water and earth (it's too heavy for the others) then carry it carefully before God, who breaths on it and infuses it with joy.

Then the angels position the cauldron directly over me and tip it.

Flooded with joy and delight. Overwhelmed with it, radiant with it.

I can come up with other explanations for why I have been so deeply, wildly happy yesterday and today, but they all seem far less plausible. The occasions I can identify are so obviously inadequate to such an intense experience.

I don't have the slightest idea how my mind works.

No comments: