Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Far Too Easily Pleased

Well. Back at work. And never have I felt more strongly, "I need a vacation."

I think maybe I don't need a vacation. I think maybe I need a dharma practice.

It was good to go to KCC last Sunday night. Michael was wonderfully unexpected. He said, "you should find some joy in your practice. In fact you should demand some joy in your practice."

C.S. Lewis wrote, in the same vein, but on a different scale:

If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

No comments: