Friday, November 23, 2012

What I did for Thanksgiving

Sick, like I used to get sick when a child: nothing but fever, burning merrily. This is the second time I've managed to sit up in the last 36 hours. Kiki adores this new temperature setting, and this new propensity for staying in bed: every time I come to consciousness she's nestled in some blazing crook.

There's no suffering to it, not even when I find myself giving little moans, every fourth breath or so. To suffer I think you have to be lodged in time, and I'm free of all that. The moans are just the obvious thing to do.

At first spreadsheets were in all the background: I was working some complicated data transformation, over and over. “I need to save this,” I would think. But gradually that burned away too.

Back to bed.

7 comments:

Zhoen said...

Careful not to become "unstuck in time".


Cats are heat-seeking creatures, but their purr is healing.

NT said...

Burn away all the illness and all the dross and rise rested and refreshed and new.

Lucy said...

Get better soon dear Dale!

rbarenblat said...

Oh, dear Dale, I am so sorry! I hope that you are on the mend, that the fever has broken, that you are able to rest comfortably.

Dale said...

Thanks dear friends! I'm improving hourly, now.

Deb said...

Love and hugs. And lucky kitty to take advantage of your poetic heat.

Sabine said...

Rest, sleep, plenty of fluids and patience, works every time despite the eventual boredom.
Gute Besserung!