Tuesday, April 13, 2004

A Place for Everything

I know your kind. When you're ready to die you'll want to hole up somewhere, in a high cave over a desolate valley. A place for everything and everything in its place. Time to tidy yourself up and put yourself away.

Don't you dare. I won't scream at you to stay. I won't pummel you. I'll let you make your turnings, follow that light. Knowing that you'll go so fast, and I'll never, never be able to follow. I won't make a scene.

Unless you try to hide away. Then you'll see, my friend, just how indecorous I can be.

You'll leave a mess. It's a messy business, dying. One mess you don't get to clean up yourself, no matter how tidy you are.

I know that others have a claim on that mess. Lots of others. I can share. But I won't be left out.

No comments: