Friday, September 20, 2024

Health

On an abbreviated evening walk -- all my exercise is abbreviated nowadays -- I took a leaf from OCD exposure therapy, and said, okay, let's just run with it. What if I never fully regain my health? What changes in my life? What adaptations do I make? 

And the answer was -- really not much changes at all. I can still do most of the things I do now, maybe less often, less strenuously. My life isn't predicated on robust health. And I'm not particularly invested in living twenty-five more years: having watched my father's extreme old age, I'm not all that enthused about spending a long time playing defense and waiting to see which system gives out first. I don't want my highest priority to be "keep this individual animal breathing." 

Not that I "believe in" an afterlife, or would find anything reassuring about the prospect if I did. Death as a candle going out has always struck me as something a little too good to be believed: a little too much of wish-fulfillment. Mebbe, mebbe not. But given that I'm going through that door eventually, willy-nilly, I do have some curiosity about it. I don't number, among my numerous faults, putting off the inevitable. What might one wake up to? If it's a clearer understanding of what one is, then -- bring it! 

So enough of all the histrionics. Most likely I just have a cold, and my lungs are a little damaged from Covid still, and I'll bounce back, just slower than I'm used to. 

2 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

My beloved sister Margaret described getting older (as an observation, without rancor) as absorbing more and more losses. She absorbed more than anyone should have to in a just universe, but with grace. Maybe all one can do.

Pascale Parinda said...

Something about hitting 66 has been different. I'm notably more fragile, less quick to heal, and plagued with deficits that are growing rather than receding. I'm not thrilled about it. I'm trying to take decent care of myself. But I'm also trying to find a way to accommodate this inevitability. Not there yet: I *love* being alive and capable of doing fun, meaningful, interesting things. But the humbleness is upon me me and I'd better damn well embrace it.