The Feminism 5
By way of Sage, the question is: what five things has feminism given you?
1) Touch. Permission to be tender with my children, parents, and friends. To hug, ruffle hair, snuggle.
2) Flourishing gay friends. Two old friends in particular come to mind. Both came out in their twenties, and both were transformed. Their voices deepened, they looked you in the eye, their feet were on solid ground, and they laughed from their bellies.
3) Twenty years of life. I'm just guessing. But my grandfather, who worked virtually all the time, dropped dead at age sixty-two. People who can't be soft and can't rest die young.
4) Sex as play. When sex is neither conquest nor performance, it's a lot more fun.
5) Permission to be silent, to dwell in uncertainty, to listen, and to wait.