THE FOUR THINGS MEME
I've been tagged by Pronoia!
Four Jobs I've Had
1) Bucking hay in Yelm, Washington. It was hot. The diabetic farmer lost it and yelled at us a lot, especially toward mealtimes. The first day I managed to hook myself in the chin with my baling hook. Hint: a bale of alfalfa is MUCH heavier than a bale of hay.
2) Teaching Chaucer in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I took the train into Bridgeport and wondered every day if I was going to get mugged on the way to the university. Bridgeport is a scary town. Hint: play up the sex in the Canterbury Tales and sell Chaucer as a jolly old humanist. Chaucer as sad moralist is a drug on the market.
3) Doing restaurant kitchen prep in Portland, Oregon. My favorite job ever. I love chopping vegetables and I love the frantic warmth of a kitchen when the staff is jammin and the wait-staff is literally running. Hint: don't be alarmed by the tantrums of the chef. Within minutes all will be well again.
4) Programming in varied suburbs of Portland. What can I say? It's a living. Hint: you will never be a hotshot like the PhD's from MIT. Get over it.
Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over
Ooh. This will be hard. I seldom watch movies. Mostly it's videos with the kids.
1) The Muppets' Treasure Island. My all-time favorite movie. (No, I am not sophisticated. Never claimed to be.)
2) GalaxyQuest. (See?)
3) Monty Python & the Holy Grail (you notice the theme of parodied adventure quest being hit pretty heavily along here?)
4) The African Queen (and here too. All four of them. Heavens.)
Four Places I've Lived
1) Eugene, Oregon
2) Olympia, Washington
3) New Haven, Connecticut
4) Portland, Oregon. (& that's it, really. I haven't moved around much.)
Four TV Shows I Love to Watch
Oh. Um, I haven't watched a TV show voluntarily for over twenty years. We have to go back to my youth, here.
1) Star Trek
2) Get Smart
4) That show Dean Martin did, with the girls who danced sexy. (Hey, I was twelve years old! The hormones were raging. And internet porn hadn't been invented yet.)
Four Places I've Been on Vacation
1) Mexico (the Pacific Coast, somewhere or other)
2) Greece (mostly by water)
3) Scotland (by tour bus. A lot of sheep and stone walls, up there)
4) Otter Rock, on the Oregon Coast. (every year for 29 years)
Four Blogs You Visit Daily
(Just four??? Sorry. Can't do this one. No way I can get my list down to four.)
Four of Your Favorite Foods
1) Twice-Cooked Pork
2) Chocolate-Hazelnut milkshakes, as made by Burgerville (eat your hearts out, non-Northwesterners!)
3) Thai peanut anything
(Those with tender sensibilities want to skip now)
(Okay, I warned you!)
barbecue potato chips.
Four Places You'd Rather Be
1) The Well at the World's End
2) Koshtra Pivrarcha
3) The Last Sea
Four Albums You Can't Live Without
This is getting way too revealing. It's possible that I don't keep up with the times very well.
1) Laura Nyro, Eli & the 13th Confession
2) Crosby, Stills, & Nash
3) Simon & Garfunkle, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme
4) The Who, Who's Next
Four vehicles I've owned
1) A blue Honda Accord, one of their earliest models.
2) A grey Honda Accord, twenty years old. Still have it. Still runs.
3) White Plymouth Voyager van, '95. Getting a bit rickety.
4) That's it. I guess I don't go through cars very fast.
Oh yeah, I forgot this part. I knew there was a reason I didn't do these. Choosing tagees is always so hard. Here goes!
2) Lioness (this is a low trick, but you never know, it might work.)