Thursday, March 03, 2005

(o)

Why a rock? "Flowers die, candles burn out, but pebbles remain. It's a sign that someone was there, that someone remembers her."

I wish I had a pocket full of virtual rocks. So often I visit a page, but I have nothing to say. I wish I could just leave a rock, and not be forced to write something or just move on. I read some pages where I don't really understand what they're talking about. I'm not as educated or cultured as a lot of other folks, but I like listening.


Thus the Peripatetic Polar Bear, speaking of her friend who would leave a pebble when she visited her grandmother's grave.


It certainly touched a cord with me. Very often I'm moved by a post, but I don't know why. Sometimes I'm not sure I really understand it, or maybe I just have nothing useful or intelligible to say in response, but I come up with a comment just to mark the connection. To leave a stone.

So I'm floating this proposed "emoticon", a little letter 'o' in parentheses, as a stone to leave in comments: (o)

If this already means something different, please let me know. If not, expect to see it turning up in your comment-boxes.

No comments: